Chocolate cake that is not too rich, light and fluffy, tasty as heck, and vegan. Bonus – no raw eggs, so you can eat the batter! It’s part of the experience.
This is the best chocolate cake in existence. Even before I started baking vegan I used to use this recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup water OR instant coffee
- Vegetable oil pan spray
- Preheat over to 175º c. Lightly grease one 9X5 inch cake pan. Vegetable oil pan spray works well.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar, applesauce, and water / coffee. Mix together until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes for cake or 22-25 minutes for cupcakes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.