Vegan pancakes that fluff up properly are hard to come by – so I’ve adapted a classic pancake recipe with the vegan substitutes I’ve found work best.
Makes 6 medium-sized pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (OR spelt)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar (OR brown/coconut sugar)
- 1 1/4 cups almond/soy milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce OR 1 tbsp ground flax seeds dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil (or vegetable oil), room temperature
- 3/4 cup frozen (or fresh) blueberries
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the almond milk, applesauce and 1 tablespoon coconut oil; add blueberries and mix until blended, lumps are okay. Don’t overmix!
- Heat a frying pan over medium high heat. Grease the pan with 1/2 tsp coconut oil. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides.